Pedals & Paddles Daytrip
Let us get you movin' and feeling g amazing with our cycling specialist, Steve Blue, and one of our paddling instructors, Amy Devine! They'll get you all hooked up for a guided morning bike ride on the Loveland trail, followed by an afternoon of guided kayaking and a delicious lunch along the Little Miami River. And don't worry if you don't have a bike or kayak - we've got you covered from start to finish!
The meet up location will be at Cincinnati's premiere canoe and kayak rental, Scenic River Canoe Excursions, located in Newtown, Ohio. From there, we will transport you to our bike trailhead at Bass Island. Steve will make sure you are properly fitted on your bike, and give you a quick shifting tutorial for a smooth ride NE along the river on the paved trail for about 9 (nine) miles. The trail is flat, so the caloric output is all contingent upon your own preferred shift. You can take this trail leisurely, adjusting to the ebbs and flows, or Steve can show you how to add some weight to your revolutions. We'll then jump off the trail, and proceed down Fletcher Rd to the Scenic River putin where our kayaks will be waiting for us!
We'll leave our bikes at the putin for TIO staff pickup, and we'll make our way down the LMR for a 6-mile river run. Amy will get you settled in the right boat for you, then lead you into the water, ensuring you are safe and confident in your vessel. Amy will guide you through downstream V's, potential hazards and strainers, and direct you around rock gardens and boulders. She'll also teach you the technical basics to equip you for future kayaking trips. All the while, we'll keep an eye out for bald eagles, redtails, pileated and red-bellied woodpeckers, deer, and plenty of sunbathing turtles. We'll also make a gravel bar (beach) stop along the river to have some delicious lunch along the way. After a lovely afternoon, we'll hang left after 6 miles at Scenic River's takeout. Their staff is fantastic, and they will be waiting to help pull everyone out, managing our kayaks for us.
LOCATION: CINCINNATI, OH
TIME: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Transport to bike trailhead
- Bike rental and fitting (fitting if needed)
- Guided 9-mile bike ride
- Kayak and yak accessories
- Guided river putin and basic kayak instruction throughout route
- Guided river and wildlife tour
- Delicious and healthy lunch on the banks of the LMR
- TIO goodies
- Fun, laughter, and sweet photo ops!!
DATES FOR 2018:
- Saturday, April 28
- Saturday, July 21
- More dates pending!
WHAT TO BRING:
- Chamois shorts (if you have them, but not necessary)
- Gym shoes and water shoes
- Daypack/Backpack - In case you want to change any clothing and shoes from cycling to kayaking. We can arrange to have the bags delivered back to Scenic to avoid bringing them on your kayak.
- Comfy, wicking yoga attire