Michigan Bikes & Brews Weekend
Indeed our Tri-state area has an increasingly growing environmental/outdoor athletic culture, but we are also big fans of what Northern Michigan has to offer in terms of outdoor athletics as well. We want you to have a chance to experience it from our perspective. This NEW weekend excursion introduces our guests to Traverse City and the very scenic and delicious surrounding areas. The water is Caribbean blue, the fall landscapes are bright and breathtaking, the restaurants are delicious, and the 15+ breweries offer a fun and indulgent aspect to our weekend of sweating and calorie burn! Read on to find out more.
Dates: october 12 - october 15, 2018
Join us for a fun-filled weekend in Traverse City MI, and experience the renowned draw of Michigan's Caribbean blue Traverse Bays, miles of bike trails along said bays, and lots of breweries. Just as Traverse City is well-stocked with 45th parallel wineries, TC is also extremely well-versed in hops... Like, 200 acres of hops, in fact! This Bikes & Brews weekend excursion is tailored for beginner cyclists, who both want to test themselves on semi-long rides, and also have some party time to experience the many breweries that Northern MI has to offer! We will include a few guided bike rides along the Traverse Bays on the Tart Trails, as well as downtown TC, but we'll also include a little bit of kayaking for the experiences paddlers in our group along the Boardman River. And we'll stop throughout the weekend at some fantastic breweries to test out delicious samples and beer flights and food. And don't worry, we will burn plenty of calories pedaling, so that your brews don't leave you feeling guilty!
Experience kayaking, cycling, sightseeing, local brewery flights, and vino samplings on the 45th Parallel. You will also have plenty of down time to spend however you'd like: napping in a hammock, sitting at the beach , shopping an estate sale, or grab a partner for a trail run nearby. All the while enjoying healthful, homemade meals and snacks prepared by our trip leaders.
- FRIDAY - Depart Cincinnati at 8:00am, arrive Traverse around 4:30pm. Relax & unwind for a while,
until dinner time, which we could do at the house (or on the beach for sunset, if time allows). Then we'll return to the house for a backyard fire under a blanket of stars.
- SATURDAY - The early morning is yours if you would like go for a trail run, light paddle, or sleeping in. We'll have breakfast around 830am, and after breakfast, we'll pack up our coolers with lunch and snacks, and head out for our bike ride, guided by our cycling instructor, Steve Blue. We will hit the Tart Trail in town for a ride of 15-20 miles round trip around the bay, contingent upon the group's experience. Do not be intimidated though - we will not be doing hills, and we can make stops throughout the ride, if needed. We will stop for a delicious, homemade beach lunch midway through the ride. After our morning of cycling, we will head back to the house to wind down, catch a nap, meditate, have a beer - that choice is yours! After we're well-rested, we will head out for our brewery tour. We will hit up 2-3 breweries Saturday afternoon/evening for flights and food. We tend to end our evenings in MI with live music, but that will be up to the group collectively.
- SUNDAY - Again, the early morning is yours, with a little extra time than Saturday. Sleep, run, meditate, caffeinate, etc. We will plan to pack up, and head out for another bike ride around 10:30am, but we will also offer an opportunity for any experienced kayakers an afternoon (to split off or go as a group), to paddle down the quick and windy Boardman River. We have a few local partners who will lead this paddle route to ensure that you have a safe and educational river run. After our ride and paddle, we'll meet back at the house for lunch, and to shower and relax for awhile. Our afternoon will include a scenic tour of Old Mission Peninsula and their gorgeous and delicious wineries. Then we will head back into town to explore another couple of breweries (if we're up for it) and grab dinner!
- MONDAY - Depart Traverse City at 8:00am, arrive home in Cincinnati around 4:30pm.
- Transportation to and from Traverse City, MI
- Transportation to and from all activities & tours
- All accommodations
- All TIOEX prepared meals, snacks, & non-alcoholic drinks
- Brewery/Winery Visits: ONE (1) beer per brewery (and one winery tasting per winery)
- Professionally guided cycling rides and kayaking
- All cycling and paddling gear
Lots of laughter and story-telling!!